Now I was not a big dog fan but Poppy, Rosie and Reya have convinced there are some okay canines out there and I love Puppy Linux. It’s small, fast, runs from a CD or a USB stick and just zooms along on any old bit of kit. It’s a little quirky at times and you might say that Slitaz or Peppermint are interesting light-fast-clean Linuxes.. and you’d be right I run Peppermint as my backup PC system right now.. but Puppy is CUTE!
Not only that but Puppy 5 is actually based on Ubuntu 10.4 and is called Lucid Puppy! Now I am not going to suggest that you use it as a hard drive installed Linux, if you have an old PC then run it from a CD and it’ll copy to RAM and run incredibly fast in memory (it only is 128mb in size), and if you sometimes wander from PC to PC, then keep a USB or CD version in your pocket so you can boot that lumbering Windows monster into a fast light and delightful desktop.
With Puppy Linux, you can carry your programs and data anywhere.
* Easy – Just use a CD or USB flash to boot a PC. Puppy Linux is downloadable as ISO, an image that can be burned to CD or DVD.
* Fast – Because Puppy is small, it can live in your PC’s memory and be ready to quickly execute your commands, whereas in other systems, programs are first read from drive storage before being executed.
* Save Money – Even if your PC has no hard disk (ex, broken hard disk), you can still boot Puppy via CD or USB and continue working. Old PCs that no longer work with new systems will still work good-as-new with Puppy.
* Do More – Puppy boots in less than a minute, even in old PCs, and it does not require antivirus software. Administering Puppy is quick and minimal. With Puppy, you just have to take care of your data, which you can easily save to USB flash (Then forget about your operating system!). Your data can be read by other computers.
* Do Magic -Help your friends suffering from computer malware by booting Puppy and removing malware from their PC (use antivirus that is built-in or can be installed in Puppy). Example – bad Autorun.inf is easily removed by Puppy (Just delete it as well as its companion exe program). If your friend thinks that she has lost data from her corrupted hard disk, boot Puppy and try saving her data!
* Carry Anywhere (Portable) – Because Puppy is able to live in CD/DVD or USB flash, as well as save data to these same devices, you can carry your programs and data with you.